Saturday, October 23, 2010

Blogs More Blogs!

Abdeen Palace gardens

~This post is fondly dedicated to my good friend Emily Mohr, who sadly, cannot be in Egypt with me. ~

Today could have been the beginning of a Greek tragedy, but ultimately ended beautifully. My computer charger has been on the fritz for a while, which troubled me because my computer charges my iPod, allows me to do my online homework (AUC is much more technologically advanced than Lawrence), and is my only source of contact with family members and friends. This morning as I was getting ready for my ex-pat excursion, I tripped very lightly on the cord and yanked it into two parts, shattering all of my hopes and dreams that I would be without computer problems here in this third world country.
As I went about my day I brooded about what to do: wait until my mother gets here in three weeks and have her bring an American charger or try or figure out how to buy one here in Egypt.

Today's excursion to Abdeen Palace, the former residence of the modern kings of Egypt, temporarily distracted me from my problems. The facade is quite impressive, and once inside the palace walls there are tranquil green gardens, a contrast to the noisy, bustling, polluted downtown just outside. I know, you get it, Cairo is dirty.



An inner courtyard

I was a bit disappointed that the majority of the trip was dedicated to visiting the king's weapons collection and the silverware and diplomatic gifts exhibits. I nodded with fake enthusiasm each time our guide pointed and exclaimed, "Look at this sword, it belonged to __________ (insert famous person I don't care about here)!".
Some objects in the exhibit were amusing, and some were downright bizarre.
A swiss army knife with 90 gadgets

A breast plate with thirteen pistols . . .


and a canteen made from a crab claw.

I have to admit, I want this sword.


The interior of the palace that we weren't allowed to see is supposed to be in a beautiful 19th century European style, but because of government restrictions, only people with government permission can go inside. Instead we watched a documentary in the museum about the interior of the palace that was just upstairs, but out of reach for us mere mortals.

When I returned from my excursion, I decided to look up local computer stores in the Egyptian Yellow Pages, and found an Apple retailer about ten minutes away. They had what I was looking for (but with a thirty five percent mark-up), and in an instant I solved my problem.
Riding on a high of excitement over finding an Apple store in Egypt, I jumped in a taxi and headed to Alpha Market, an Egyptian version of Target on the Nile. It was absolutely amazing! I almost felt like I was in the United States again. I was able to pick up toilet paper, dish soap, and Fulla, the elusive Muslim Barbie doll that I had singled out as my personal souvenir.
Fulla is pretty flippin' awesome, and it really wasn't difficult to choose which doll to buy. When I had a choice between "Karaoke Princess Fulla" and "Evening Prayers Fulla," the Religious Studies major in me couldn't help herself. Fulla wears pink hijab, has a pink prayer rug, a purple prayer book, and a button to press that makes her say her prayers. I haven't taken her outside of her box because I don't want to ruin the cardboard cutout mosque inside. I'm such a nerd.

3 comments:

  1. If I can get it on e-bay, the sword is yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the breatplate with 13 pistols...talk about a chastity belt on steroids! Would certainly be a deterrent for inappropriate touching....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fulla looks awesome. The concept baffles me a bit but, why pink for the abbayah? It's a nice touch but, bright pink doesn't exactly scream 'Muslim modesty'.. little bit of a clash of values there... I SO wish I could have gone with you there.

    ReplyDelete