Wednesday, October 06, 2010

I'm a traveler, not a tourist

An Ottoman cemetery

Today was a spontaneous adventures in which I planned nothing, and let situations materialize. The day began with a splendid breakfast on the terrace of a nearby hotel, with views of the Bosphorous Sea and the Blue Mosque. Then I decided to just explore. My feet took me down side streets past ancient houses, through Sultanahmet Park, beside Hagia Sophia and The Blue Mosque. Then I found my way into a bustling downtown area where I walked right into an Ottoman cemetery. I stopped along the busy tramway thoroughfare to pick up a homemade Turkish sweet from a street stand, and freshly squeezed (in front of me) pomegranate juice. Later, I wandered back to Sultanahmet, and stood on an elevated platform to take pictures of the Blue Mosque in all its glory, when a troop of little girl dancers in full Turkish costume hopped up on a nearby stage and started dancing to the beat of a drum. I couldn't believe my luck!

Afterward, I was tired so I meandered back to my hotel where I took a nap, and then re-energized for some food. Just a few feet away from my hotel is a small cafe, and I sat down to have an eggplant and yogurt appetizer (tasty to the extreme) and a kebab plate (do you see a pattern here?) Nothing could really beat last night's meal, but it was, again, one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The waiter liked me so much that he gave me a vial of Turkish tea on the house.
And it didn't even cost me my honor. :)

Most Turkish men like me, which is rather bothersome, when I want to walk down the street in peace. I was reading on a website about women who were shocked at the street harassment in Istanbul, and I can only shake my head and wonder what they would think of Cairo. This is a much needed vacation from the leers and inappropriate comments I have endured from some Egyptian men.
Other than that, I have realized after numerous interaction with locals, that I pass for a Turk. In fact, most Turkish people think I am Turkish, and start speaking to me in their native tongue before noticing my confused express and switch to English. I like it.

The day isn't over, but I thought I would take advantage of a lull to write my blog entry. Now I'm planning on going to a Turkish bath, where hopefully I will have a not-too-traumatizing experience. I will write more later on that adventure.

4 comments:

  1. My Grandmother went to school at Notre Dame de Sion- a French Catholic School...nearby?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MAJORLY JEALOUS of you right now, Ari. I was told by several people (including Afghans and Turks!) that I too could pass for Turkish. That was actually the reason I started studying Turkish language and culture, even though I, like you, am mostly Italian. And interestingly enough, many Turkish Jews wrote that they were "Italian" on their passports in order to immigrate to other countries and be considered white, so the "passing" goes both ways. It's those Mediterranean looks we've got working for us. I joke that I could pass for any light-skinned Easterner (Iranian, Turk, Pathan, Afghan) in the right clothes.

    Istanbul is a hodgepodge. It's extremely mixed- enjoy the food!! Khaymak with honey.. lokoum.. mmmmmmmm. And please, if you can, go to Uskudar in the rain, just like it says in the song :)

    love
    Mark (with a K)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mark with a K. I wouldn't confuse you with Marc with a C, because he's my stepfather . . . and I know what he would write versus what you would write.
    I think I will be going to Uskadar in the rain, and I will tell you all about it later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. Thanks Ari! And you really are going to Uskudar?!? That sounds awesome! I am so excited for you! I am gonna play the song in your honor now and wake my roommates up LOL. And yes, tell me how it is.. enjoy the fabulous Istanbul!
    love
    Mark :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete