Sunday, August 22, 2010

Apartment hunting


Today we ventured into Maadi, a quiet American ex-pat community, to look for housing. On the way we were able to see the hustle and bustle of downtown Cairo, beautiful views of the Nile, and we glimpsed the winding streets of hidden medieval marketplaces. In Maadi we stumbled upon a very cool American man who owns a burger restaurant (and another popular American restaurant) in the city. He kindly gave us the name of a realtor who treated us superbly, and we were able to continue our apartment search.
Later in the evening, we finally ate our first meal in the last three days at the very chic Marriot Hotel in Zamalek. The decor was imperial Islamic with heavy copper lanterns (about sixteen feet long) hanging from the ceiling.

The food was delicious! Sadly, I've had to temporarily abandon my vegetarianism (very very very reluctantly). I really have no choice because vegetables and salads are toxic (the microbes could either make me very sick or worst case, kill me). The fact that I have not really eaten anything but yogurt drinks, bananas, and cheese sandwiches has made me weak with malnutrition. So, I ate fish. judge me.

2 comments:

  1. If the marketplaces are so hidden, then how did you find them so quickly? FIRST MEAL IN 3 DAYS? Arielle!!

    Heh Heh. Welcome to the dark side :) Of meat, that is.

    Fish are nastay though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess what I meant was that I glimpsed the entry ways to the predominantly hidden medieval marketplace.
    I hate meat, and as soon as I leave here, I'm not eating it again.

    ReplyDelete