Saturday, August 21, 2010

Arrival

My flight landed in Cairo last night, and so far I have mixed feelings about this city. I've barely eaten in the two days I've been here because it is Ramadan and very few restaurants are open during the day. (If they are, they only serve sandwiches). Apparently our hotel's chef is sick, so the dining room is closed for the next five days. Great.
The city is probably the dirtiest I've ever seen, and even the nicest area of the city center (Zamalek) has dead cats strewn around, dirt, and flies buzzing everywhere. I saw a dying baby cat in a cardboard box who (it appeared from the empty syringe at its side) had been injected with something to kill it.
I realize after my stilted conversations with locals, that I possess very little vocabulary to help me here. Perhaps I'm doomed . . .
Some of the aforementioned atmosphere, and the two hour round-trip near deadly commute to the dorms (if you don't almost get run over on the way to the bus stop, you can get killed by the crazy drivers on the highway) has convinced me that living off-campus is not for me. I've contacted the student life office to request a single on-campus. If that doesn't work for me, then I'm going home. It's a drastic measure, but if necessary, I'm prepared to make it.
This blog has outlined some of the worst I've seen, but Cairo's redeeming qualities should not be overlooked. The people have been among the friendliest I've met, and it is very safe to walk the streets at night (thanks to Mubarak's armed police forces at every corner). The call to prayer is beautiful, and it is always interesting to see people frozen in one moment of their every day life to pray. (I saw a man stopping to pray in a parking garage).
Despite that, I'm not yet comfortable in my surroundings, and will have to debate what to do next.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was smiling as I was reading this entry because your reactions were well expected. I personally don't do too well in a less hygienic environment either. I hope things will work out for you. Hang in there. I'm sure you'll do great once you get used to Cairo. Mari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there.. that is a long time for commute. Isn't there a bus from the Zamalek dorms? that will be much better than a taxi ride. Also, you could think about moving closer to campus.. but if you feel strongly about the dorm idea then go for it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure why I didn't see this post until now. The commute was too long from Zamalek, so we decided to live in Maadi which is a bit closer to campus and much less crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed when I wrote this, and saw no other alternative to dorm living. I found a compromise . . . an expat American community within a real cultural setting + close to the campus. :)

    ReplyDelete