Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Happy Eid!

Today ended on a high note, because I have a four day weekend thanks to Eid! So, I thought I would engage in some random musings . . .
I want to be more optimistic in this post, so I will tell everyone what I really like about Egypt, because I spend many of my waking hours complaining to family and friends about how crazy and strange it is.

Likes:
1) The people. Despite a few bad representations of the Egyptian populace (taxi drivers, perverts, taxi drivers who are perverts), I find that upon getting to know Egyptians, they are a very warm, engaging, and hospitable people. Example 1: I went to the AUC bookstore to purchase school supplies, but I realized that I didn't have the right change. The bookstore owner kindly told me to take the items that I had not purchased and bring the correct change later.

2) The pace. Egyptian time is different from American time. Appointments are suggestions, and everyone is more relaxed about deadlines. As a result,I feel less stressed.

3) The cats. I pass at least ten cats every morning on my way to the bus.

4) The trees and flowers. My whole street is lined with twisty, brambly trees that are abloom with pink blossoms.

5) The weather. Although the temperature is hovering around 92-95 degrees during the day, there is very low humidity, and the weather will be perfect from October through December.

6) Affordability. I can afford luxuries like home delivery of groceries, taxi cab rides, and restaurant dining on a regular basis. I can also have a nice two bedroom apartment in a swanky area of Cairo on my meager student savings.

7) The adventure. Every weekend for the next month I get to go on an excursion to an amazing place: The Citadel, Islamic Cairo, the Egyptian royal palaces, Saqqara, and Mt. Sinai.

8) Books. My class schedule allows me time to enjoy reading, something I don't regularly do at Lawrence (besides class texts).

My life is so much more interesting here than in Appleton. I hang my laundry out to dry, hear the eery call to prayer five times a day, get into ridiculous situations with taxi drivers, getting lost, snobby students, rabid dogs, pushy vendors, and street harassment. I'm not saying I love every minute of it, but I know that this is a formative experience, even if a lot of it is negative.
My kitchen sink makes a loud pitched noise every time I turn it on, and I am terrified of my stove which I have to light manually before using. There are piles of garbage on the sidewalk(not exaggerating on this one folks) that I have to either step over or avoid (whilst almost getting hit by cars) on my way to the bus, and there are beggars everywhere. Plus, there is a never ending supply of flies. I certainly chose an exciting and amazing place to study abroad. :D


Here's me. I'm a bit tanner, thinner, and maybe more Arabic looking? I've gotten some men on street corners asking me "Arabiya? Arabiya?". Calm down, boys . . . lol.

4 comments:

  1. Ari,
    I am love love loving reading all of your posts! It sounds amazing and like such an amazing experience. Keep them coming!!
    Sam Kawabata

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect expression of what is fun about living in Cairo.. Yes to everything here, though I never had to deal with perverted taxi drivers..

    ReplyDelete
  3. the skinniness and tan-ness do make you look sort of Arabi. LOL. The next time you get asked just be like "Hell Yeah" ( or Egyptian equivalent thereof). Your life in Egypt sounds amazing, if challenging. I could use a little Egyptian Time right now.. my time in grad school feels cram-jammed. sigh.

    ReplyDelete