Monday, September 20, 2010

The anti-Barbie



Just a warning: this post is random.
Since last week I have been on the hunt for the Muslim Barbie doll named Fulla. *I really want to buy her!* She's going to be my personal souvenir from my trip to Egypt as soon as I can locate a toy shop in my neighborhood.
Let me tell you a little about Fulla, because I find her fascinating on many levels. Fulla was marketed to Muslim countries starting in the 90's as a backlash against Western values, and as a way to promote modest dress and behavior. Some say it was part of a larger movement to get more young women to wear headscarves. Among her warddrobe items is a full length hijab, and shorter veils. Her life also revolves more around the home and family, and she loves to pray.
Besides these obvious differences from Barbie, she is represented in many careers (doctor Fulla, teacher Fulla), and likes shopping, cars, and being with friends. There is no Ken equivalent, because dating is forbidden, but I think she is better off without him anyway.
If I can't find Fulla, I will buy Jamila, another doll that embodies the same values and is Fulla's rival.

When I locate her, I will let all of you know.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I can tell you where we bought ours. We got it at the Alpha Market in Maadi.. or on the way into Maadi. You've passed this many times probably. Who knows if they're still there, but that's where we found it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this post is several months old, but try Ebay! My husband and I bought several fulla dolls off of ebay and some other more modest dolls of a similar sort. We are not muslim, but prefer to have more modest Barbies for our girls to play with.

    ReplyDelete