Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Weirdest Thing I've Ever Eaten


Well, the title is not entirely true, but I had to get your attention somehow. Today I ventured into the realm of Egyptian cuisine at the AUC foodcourt. The dish that I tried, khoushary, has been on my radar since I heard it was a staple in the Egyptian kitchen. What is it, you ask? Well, its a hodgepodge of starches including rice, macaroni, spaghetti, lentils, crispy onions, and chickpeas in a tomato/olive oil sauce. To be honest, it looked really weird, and I thought, "here we go . . . " since I heard Egypt is the Middle Eastern culinary equivalent of England.
After trying khoushary, I actually enjoyed it. I'm not saying it's as good as Italian, Indian, Lebanese, Japanese, French, Moroccan, American, Mexican, Greek, or Chinese food, but it wasn't bad.
The best part is that it's completely vegetarian.
Other items on the menu at the Egyptian restaurant, el Omda, were similar to other ethnic foods that I have eaten. Fried eggplant, a recipe from my grandmother's Italian family, was available, as well as falafel, and rice pudding.
The weirdest thing I have ever eaten (and this was unknowingly) was when I was eleven and I ate foie gras in France. But this is a close second.
I guess I'm lucky that foie gras is the weirdest thing I've ever eaten, because Anthony Bourdain, my favorite culinary travel show host, ate a boar's anus cooked in dirt in the African bush. I will count my blessings that there are no boars in Egypt.

6 comments:

  1. Ari you are wonderful. And that does sound really delicious. Is couscous big in Egypt at all or does it stay closer to Morocco? Because it's really incredibly delicious, usually served with a yummy veggy broth, and can be vegetarian. And you should eat it. Now.

    Also I love you. Muchly. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! I wanted you to try koshiry. P.S. you're Italian? so am I! Did we discuss this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try some ful next, with some flatbread, oil, cheese and a hard boiled egg. Trust me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing such a great job on this blog! Anthony Bourdain reference is priceless! Hope you are able to find Fula. Very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's 1 a.m. in New York...have such a taste for boar's anus.....have to settle for KFC...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I must tell you that fois gras was THE BEST thing I have ever eaten!!! in Paris, of course.

    ReplyDelete