Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Brazil, lalalalalalalala

If you don't get the title of this post, be thankful, because it means that you've never had to endure Lawrence University freshman studies. . .

Usually I don't comment on the political situation in Egypt, and I hesitate to elaborate on my opinions here because I am still in Egypt. Yet, the reason I bring up politics is relevant because the Egyptian parliamentary elections happened on Sunday, and as a result I noticed some interesting changes in scenery. Let's just say it became slightly more militarized. While I was on my way to and from the Bahariya Oasis during the past weekend, our bus passed dozens of police transport vehicles that were loaded with people who I can only imagine are political dissidents. The Egyptian government has a policy against Islamic fundamentalism and therefore bans political organizations like the Muslim Brotherhood. Over the last week, protests popped up in Cairo and Alexandria, and there may have been casualties. I say "may have", because I get my news from al-Jazeera, which reports from the Gulf, because no local newspapers in Egypt carry the story. Perhaps I am wrong, and those transport vehicles were carrying petty thieves, but my instinct tells me no.
Another thing I witnessed was the location of an event that I read about on al-Jazeera English.com. Recently there has been an increase in violence between the Coptic Christian community and their Muslim neighbors. Last week the Coptic community clashed with the Egyptian police over the building of a church in Giza. The government declared that they didn't have the correct permit and tried to put the kibosh on the project. In response, the Copts protested and rioted against the police. Al-Jazeera reported one death.
Last Thursday, I passed the half-built church which was peppered with scaffoldings and dust. Surrounding the church and lining the highway around it was a police unit of perhaps two to three dozen men in riot gear. If you've never seen government action like it before, the sight is quite imposing.
I will reserve my comments for State-side, but I thought it prudent to record these observations.

Another note for all of you: Don't be worried when my blogposts cease until this Saturday or Sunday. It doesn't mean that I've been taken away in a paddywagon. Rather, I will be going to Jordan for the weekend, and will most likely not be bringing my computer. As of now, I only have 17 days until I leave for New York. With my impending trip to Jordan, this brings the total number of days left in Egypt to 14. Hooray!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for only two weeks left in Egypt! wow. My Mideastern friends assure me that Jordan is quite civilized.. you'll enjoy it. I got the Brazil reference.. haha. The situation is getting worse and worse for the Copts and other Christian minorities in Muslim countries. They should be sponsored to come to majority-Christian countries, the way Israel sponsors Jews to immigrate there. Forgive my bias, but they'll be safer among co-religionists than not.

    I don't know if I could have lasted that long in a desert like Egypt! I tend to panic when it's too hot and when I'm not around green trees and plentiful water.. I freak out and think, "Not a good environment! Not enough to feed/quench people!!" Silly me.

    Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ari, what an intelligent synopsis of what is going on in Egypt. You give a very clear picture of the situation. We certainly don't get that news here in the States. I am counting the days til you come back to the US, too!

    ReplyDelete