Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Modern Plagues of Egypt

Today I got my wish. On the way to airport to collect my mother, I was greeted by the sight of animal carcasses being hauled on top of cars, and skins draped over truck beds. I also spied a few men in white shirts soaked with blood, carrying bloody stumps and pillowcases filled with what I assumed were innards.
It was amazingly grotesque, and I'm glad I could tell you all about it.

Later, I greeted my mom at the Cairo International Airport where we re-enacted the airplane arrivals montage from Love Actually to a crowd of approving Egyptians. Then we finagled a town car for our ride back to the apartment, which was perhaps the best part of her re-introduction to Cairo, because later we experienced loads of let's just call them "interesting situations".  On our way to the amazing Lucille's (American) restaurant in Maadi, we were honked at, leered at, and even howled at (actually it was more of an obscene groan) from a passing car. Maybe it was just the sight of two lovely ladies walking uncovered on the street that sent them over the edge, but for obvious reasons I wasn't really flattered. At Lucille's the waiter addressed my mother as "my queen", which pleased her a lot, and made up somewhat for the scumbags from earlier in the evening. My point is that for every creep, there is at least one very charming and hospitable Egyptian man.

Then after our dinner, we headed home on foot and were followed for about five blocks by a stray dog who got close enough to lick my mom's hand. We escaped from the dog by crossing the street, but soon noticed bats swooping above us in the treetops. That being said, neither of us contracted rabies, or were permanently scarred in any way, but we were a bit shaken by the amalgamation of the modern plagues of Egypt into one unlucky evening.

2 comments:

  1. oh man! Welcome to Egypt, Ma! I'm sure yours handled it like a trouper though. I doubt my mom would have been so confident. This is a silly question but do animal shelters and things like that exist in Egypt? We are such silly animal lovers that, had we been in the United States and if we were sure the dog was NOT rabid we'd probably have taken it home. But you did right to walk away from a strange street animal in a strange country, and I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that.

    I'm glad the waiter was really polite to your mom! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 100% sure that there aren't any animal shelters here. Egyptians generally don't even keep animals as pets.

    ReplyDelete