Monday, November 15, 2010

The Silence of the Lambs


The beginning of the end for these four-legged friends

Today is the first day of the week-longer Eid al-Adha festival, which commemorates the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his son Ishmael (not Isaac as in other Abrahamic traditions). The custom is to sacrifice an animal like a goat, lamb, camel, or other livestock and then give the meat to the poor. I was hoping to actually see animal sacrifice, or the residual blood from aforementioned sacrifice, just so that I could have the pleasure of sharing my squeamishness with all of you. But I was sorely disappointed when I went for a jaunt outside of my apartment building, and saw no such activities. Though I did hear 'mooing' from an apartment close to mine. 
In celebration of Eid, a holiday from which I should not have the benefit of a week's vacation, I have done absolutely nothing. Yesterday, I got to hang out and eat McDonald's (very unlike me) and watch South Park (her idea not mine) with my new friend who I shall refer to as S, a devout Muslim girl who has an obsession over American television. That was perhaps one of the most fun and unusual interactions I've had with people in Egypt.
Other recent memorable meetings include sitting next to an Egyptian girl on the bus who spontaneously leaned over from her physics readings to help me with my Arabic homework. She then offered me food, which I accepted, and told me she was glad to help me anytime.
A taxi driver I had recently was also surprisingly cordial. Note that I am usually weary of taxi drivers and their attempts to make passes on female passengers. However, this guy was genuine, and engaged in a conversation with me predominantly in Arabic. He offered me a cigarette (which was the polite thing to do) and proceeded to light it for himself after my refusal.We chatted about Cairo, and his girlfriend, and our families until he delivered me safely to my destination.
That's all to report today. Tomorrow my mommy arrives to visit me. More blog posts will follow.

1 comment:

  1. I would love some lamb! I'm glad the people are so nice there!

    ReplyDelete