Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Kitsch on the Corniche

Last night I watched my mom drive away in a taxi, and by now she is probably back in New York. I was sad to see her go, but I know that in 24 days (!!!) I will be back in the United States of America with her and the rest of my family, so I'm doing okay.
Before she left, we did something ridiculously stupid. Really stupid. Really really stupid. Don't believe me? Here is the proof . . .
Now that I have published the first picture, it cannot be used for extortion. Copies are available upon request. :D

On Saturday we decided to forgo some of the more traditional tourist destinations in Cairo because frankly we've exhausted all of the important ones, and went instead to the cheesy "Pharoanic Village". We both hated it, but in a good way. The place is supposed to be a recreation of a village in Ancient Egypt, but in reality it's just a cheesy 1980's flea-bitten theme park. The other down-side is that our tour guide (who was forced upon us) acted as a jailor and watched out for any potential defections. We got a huge laugh over it, and the picture above as a souvenir, so it was worth a few hours of agony.
Later, to make up for the previous experience we ate at Barry's, the restaurant we went to in August to eat and gaze at the pyramids. They never get old, and the food was delicious.


Unfortunately, I got ill from drinking apple cider at another restaurant earlier in the day on Saturday, and I was unable to do anything except go to school with mom on Sunday. Then the next day, we went to a french patisserie in Maadi that was "very civilized", according to my mother. (See the picture on the right for me and my chocolate confection. Mmmmmmmm).
Now my mom is gone, and I'm counting down the days until my departure.

  

1 comment:

  1. oh man... what an awesome picture!! Hahaha. Yay for only 24 days left!

    ReplyDelete