Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Wall of Shame

I decided to create this "Wall of Shame" after flipping through my pictures of various trips to touristy places in and around the Middle East. Before I begin, let me just say that this issue has been bugging me for a long time. Namely, the way the European and American tourists dress in conservative Muslim countries. Yes, it's unbelievably hot, and yes, these people probably were not aware of their faux pas. However, it does not excuse the fact that they are offending the locals, and acting in a way that is culturally entitled. I am not thrilled about dressing conservatively 24/7, however, I am a believer in cultural respect and being aware of the surrounding culture. Unless you are at a beach resort, dressing like this embarrasses you, embarrasses your fellow countrymen, and gives Americans and Europeans a bad name abroad.  My advice to you, is do yourself a favor when traveling to the Muslim world, and wear jeans and a t-shirt, not short-shorts and tank tops. 
Now I present to you the 2010 Wall of Shame: What not to Wear Abroad. 





2 comments:

  1. Oooh... hahaha. This reminds me of those horrendous pictures Professor Daughtry used to show us in some of her Africa classes of German tourists in Speedos, wading in waterfalls in Tanzania. Like, seriously?? EW. No one wants to see that, lol, least of all the locals.

    ReplyDelete