Thursday, September 16, 2010

OCD in the City

Today was a slow news day, except for the fact that I temporarily freaked out about visa issues and deportation. That's all settled, so now I will focus on an issue that eats away at my soul. It is the pervasive, unavoidable fact of GARBAGE. That's right folks, and there will be pictures (see below). Fortunately some of my fears about cleanliness here were moot. The toilets are actually fine (negating an entire blog series about the worst toilets in Cairo that I was planning). However, the street trash is a daily strain on me, not only because I am a germophobe, or that the mounds of garbage are unsightly, but also because it is a safety hazard. Parts of the sidewalk are buried in trash mounds, and when I am forced to walk on these sidewalks to avoid death by kamikaze cars, I have almost tripped and landed on my beautiful face in a pile of decaying crap.
So, feast your eyes upon what I have to endure every day, and thank your lucky stars that you live in a country with an organized trash removal system.



3 comments:

  1. What a terrible thing. How the hell can this be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but if you look up, there are pink blossoms everywhere! I agree...the garbage there is quite disturbing despite the beautiful flowers.

    Enjoyed this entry...and am looking forward to your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack. I had heard that Cairo is very dirty. I just wasn't aware of how much. Here in the West, we except richer areas to include some form of garbage collection. Guess that isn't made a big part of Egyptian civics? Back in the day, Meadi was a swanky area for French expats. especially French Jews, so even though you aren't French, consider your presence there as returning it to its roots, LOL.

    ReplyDelete